Sunday 24 February 2013

1940's Bestway jumper

We're still a poorly household here but there has been an upside to my 3 family members being under the weather; while they've been sleeping I've been sewing and so I have another jumper to show you! 

I apologise in advance for the poor quality photographs.  It's been gloomy here all day and so I've had to resort to using the flash which creates a shadow!!

The pattern I chose was a Bestway one from the 1940's, I'm guessing mid '40s due to the fair style??.  I've had the pattern for a while and finally managed to find a wool which I thought would do it justice. 


Although the pattern called for 3 ply, I used Stylecraft 4 ply in a shade rather tastily called butterscotch :o)  I opted for a fairly neutral shade because I wanted to show off the pretty design of the jumper.  While I know not everyone favours acrylic, I'm a fan and although you can't get the same range of colours in 4 ply acrylic as you can in DK, Stylecraft have brought out a few new shades, namely butterscotch, camel and mocha, which are rather fitting to the 1940's so I've done a bit of stocking up!

The rib and yoke are worked on rather titchy and fiddly no 13 needles.  They're so fine to work with but give a really good finish on the delicate wool.






The sleeves have an interesting little bit of detail which I've never seen on a jumper before.  Quite sweet don't you think??


I cheated a little on the buttons.  The original called for tiny crocheted ones but I had the most perfect little glass 1930's ones and so opted to use them instead.  I need to tighten the button holes a little because the buttons are so tiny but I don't think I could have colour matched them any better!


I'll be taking the jumper to our first fair of 2013 which is "The Old Hollywood Vintage Fair" which is being held on March 10th in Norwich Cathedral - I'm SO excited :o)!!

If you fancy knitting this pretty little jumper for yourself, I hope to get the pattern posted up by the end of the week thanks to the help and words of wisdom of the lovely fellow bloggers who emailed me!

7 comments:

  1. well done! I have been able to pick up a few 40s patterns here in NZ.....easy to pack and take home to Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful :) I do love the buttons especially!
    I like acrylic too. Primarily because I can wear it without itching. Not that I haven't tried wool, I have, and I love it- but I really do itch like made if it touches my skin :(
    Gorgeous jumper though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love it, and the colour of the yarn, well done you. Sorry to hear you have all been ill and hope you're all on the mend soon.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jumper is gorgeous
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous! I would love to make it for myself, but alas I can't stand anything touching my neck :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. You knit so beautifully. I love 1940's style. Enjoy you day out, am sure this little number will be a hit! Karen :)

    ReplyDelete